Thursday, August 11, 2011

Here we go...

I haven't always wanted to be in politics. In fact, all I can tell you about politics up until I was in college was that Bush Jr. ran a couple of times and I wanted him to win. It wasn't until I met a guy that I developed a crush on, who wanted to be in politics, that I got interested. My how far I have come...

I now find that politics can light a fire in me more than almost any other subject. And if you were to ask me what the number one thing was that I wanted to express to others about politics I would tell you it was to start a great awakening in my generation as to the importance of getting informed and getting involved. There will be a day when we will be running the world and there are many patterns that need to change in my generation before that happens.

What I have found is so many people 30 and under really have no idea, and almost no interest, in who or what is running this country. It seems that so many of us are just comfortable with being ignorant about issues like foreign policy, economics, history, and especially politics. I have so many friends that if I was to start up a conversation with about fiscal conservatism or entitlement programs and ask them their opinion about the issue, they would look at me like a deer in headlights and say "um.. I don't know". I think that is a shame. It is our duty as human beings to take part in deciding who we have representing us at all times.

We have got to wake up. We have got to realize that it doesn't matter whether it is interesting to us or not... we have been called to be knowledgeable and informed. When we are not regression is all that we have to look forward to.

With this blog I hope to challenge friends and strangers to realize that we do not have a choice but to know what is going on in this country. It has been intrusted to us by men who risked everything to help make it what we see today. We have the power to make such a difference in the world around us and one of the easist ways to do this is to read up and study and actually have knowledge of the people we have in office as well as the people who are soon to be in office. With that knowledge we can inform others and hopefully light a blaze in someone else which then starts the great awakening that needs to happen in this generation because the weight of the world is about to sit on our shoulders.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Erin. This is well written, very challenging and long overdue. May many young people be provoke by the passion in your heart for politics, enough to stand for righteousness to change this nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Erin. Well put! Shad and I FULLY agree in the largest of scales and smallest :) We are getting involved with our city! And hope to also light that same fire :) So many people complain about what's going on around them yet do NOTHING to change it. It's an increasing epidemic. BE the change people!! I see and know of so many that move out of a certain area/part of town because it's "going down hill", what?! You love that city! You grew up and have roots in that city! Step in..hold your ground..and TAKE IT BACK! Be the change! Get involved! Ask "why?".
    Wheeeew! Anyway :) Love this Erin! High-five

    ReplyDelete